Job Opening: Grant Manager/Writer
LOCATION: Washington DC
DEPARTMENT: Resource Development
REPORTS TO: Director, Foundation & Government Support
Learn More About the Position:
The Grant Writer assists in communicating the voice of Ocean Conservancy to potential and current funders, through grant proposals and reports. The Grant Writer will advance Ocean Conservancy’s philanthropic partnerships with individuals, foundations and government agencies, playing a supporting role in raising more than $10 million annually. The Grant Writer’s work encompasses all of Ocean Conservancy’s program areas and requires the ability to translate science and policy language into accessible, compelling and informative material for target audiences. The Grant Writer works well under the pressure of tight deadlines and is able to multi-task and work congenially across an organization’s fundraising, programmatic, finance and communications areas.
- Working collaboratively with development and senior program staff to articulate our mission and objectives to new and existing individual and institutional partners.
- Developing compelling cases for support through the creation of proposals and letters of inquiry in ways that convey the impact and imperative of Ocean Conservancy’s programmatic initiatives.
- Participating in interdepartmental meetings for key program staff to identify and prioritize project needs and tracking proposal and report preparation assignments.
- Working collaboratively with conservation program and finance staff to report on the impact of philanthropic support through the creation of formal and informal narrative and financial reports.
- Researching and identifying new U.S. and international government and foundation grant opportunities as needed.
- Contributing to other written materials that serve the organization’s mission and conservation agenda as needed.
- Ensuring continuity in relationship management by maintaining systems and files to track contacts, submission and reporting deadlines, and philanthropic commitments in Raiser’s Edge and hard-copy files.
- Copyediting and proofreading documents.
- Minimum of five years of writing and editing experience (with strong preference for proven track record in writing successful grant awards)
- Strong preference for experience working at a nonprofit organization;
- Superior written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences;
- Strong grammar and editing skills (knowledge of AP style a plus);
- Knowledge or experience with environmental policy issues a plus;
- Strong computer skills, including experience with prospect research tools and funder databases (Raiser's Edge experience a plus);
- Successful track record in crafting effective and compelling proposals, reports and budgets to meet specified guidelines;
- Attentiveness to details and strict adherence to deadlines and deliverables;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Highly collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach; and
- Degree in English, or relevant field or related experience
APPLY FOR THE POSITION:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy's team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities along with your resume and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note your name and "Grant Manager/Writer #1401" in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.