LOCATION: Washington D.C.
DEPARTMENT: Trash Free Seas ®
Learn More About the Position:
The Trash Free Seas Program Coordinator plays a powerful role in helping to cultivate, coordinate and activate Ocean Conservancy’s extensive global network of International Coastal Cleanup coordinators and communicate the results of our collective action to remove trash from waterways around the world. By serving as a direct channel for public inquiries about our Trash Free Seas program and ensuring the best support for our global network, the Coordinator helps to mobilize this global network and achieve impact. The Coordinator also works closely with Ocean Conservancy’s team of marine scientists and communicators to develop compelling narratives to build public support for ocean trash solutions. Finally, the Coordinator provides essential cross-cutting logistical and team support to improve the effectiveness of the team’s engagement to achieve trash free seas. The Program Coordinator works with the Trash Free Seas Team to expand and maintain Cleanup participation via the public and a global network of Cleanup coordinators in more than 90 countries. The Coordinator’s primary roles are to provide event tools and information, compile data to assess impact, and identify opportunities for enhanced engagement and participation. As a first point of contact for the Trash Free Seas Program, the Coordinator serves as an ambassador to the public to field questions and identify issues for the full team. The Coordinator also provides critical logistical and event planning support for the program.
Works with team to regularly communicate and provide information to partners and volunteers around the world.
Works with Trash Free Seas Team to manage, compile and provide Cleanup data results via an online database and reports.
Serves as a public gateway to provide information regarding Cleanup and Trash Free Seas program via phone, email, web and written communication.
Assists with organizing Trash Free Seas meetings and workshops including program agenda, site and travel logistics and administrative support.
• Often moves supplies and gear weighing up to 50 pounds around office and offsite venues for various outreach and event needs.
• Occasionally works in outdoor weather conditions.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
• Experience planning and executing large meetings and events.
• Ability to analyze data for reports and present the information in a way that is meaningful and interesting to the public.
• Strong communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to handle many tasks simultaneously, with speed, accuracy, and courtesy.
• Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines working as an individual or as part of a team.
• Ability to effectively communicate and work with volunteers.
• Experience with GIS a plus.
• Ability to prepare written documents quickly, clearly, and efficiently.
• Ability and desire to work effectively with diverse teams, integrating across disciplines.
• Capable of working collaboratively with a wide variety of stakeholders and demonstrating a solutions-oriented attitude.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to connect and engage with public constituencies.
• Passion for the marine environment and a commitment to eliminating trash from the ocean.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS:
• College degree in marine science, environmental studies, or related field, with one to three years’ experience in environmental activities or event planning preferred.
APPLY FOR THE POSITION:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities, along with your resume and salary expectations, to email@example.com and note “#16-19 – Coordinator, Trash Free Seas Program” in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Help keep the ocean healthy for sea turtles, polar bears, whales and people like you.
The ocean provides the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink. Learn more about why the ocean matters to you.
Ocean Conservancy works to keep the ocean healthy, to keep us healthy.
We champion sound science that will lead to innovative, sustainable solutions.